Nick, Nora... and Fluffy?



Get excited, it's a groundbreaking day here at Pop Culture Paradox. We have our first contributing writer (does this mean we made it?). Below is a review by Rae Scott (hereby known as R, in true Pop Culture Paradox style - we love initials) for the upcoming Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist. I know I'm pumped for it to come out... That Michael Cera brings out the geek-lover in me every time I see him in a movie. Swoon.
-M

Thursday night I was offered the opportunity to attend a pre-screening of the upcoming teen-romance flick Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist a full two weeks before its general release. Having no social life, since all of my friends graduated from UMass, I jumped at the chance and found myself running out to my car five minutes before show time because the super-tight security around the film banned all electronic devices---even cell phones. As I deposited my brand new maroon enV2 in my center console, I huffed and puffed and swore if this movie wasn’t worth it…well, the ticket was free so I guess I had nothing to complain about.

Luckily, the movie lived up to my expectations. While there was nothing groundbreaking about Nick and Norah, the storyline was entertaining and funny. Michael Cera’s stereotypical neurotic and awkward teen persona take center stage in the opening scene as Nick leaves a long, rambling message to Tris, the girl who broke up with him on his “b-day.” Fast forward through the introduction of Nick’s two gay best friends/band mates, and meet Norah (Kat Dennings), Tris’s sort-of friend who steals the mix tapes Nick makes for Tris. And poof! Nick+Norah+indie mix cds=LOVE.


The storyline takes off when Tris, Norah, and Caroline (their alcoholic best friend) head to NYC for a night of music, booze, and searching for Fluffy. Yes, Fluffy, an underground band that leaves clues for their fans about the time and place of their next performance. To kill time, Norah, Tris, and Caroline head to a seedy club to watch Nick’s band perform. An argument with Tris leads Norah to kiss Nick in an attempt to convince Tris the two are dating (without knowing of the Tris-Nick connection). Cue the jealous ex-girlfriend’s overreaction and Norah’s instinct attraction to poor, broken-hearted Nick.

The rest of the movie revolves around Nick & Norah search for Fluffy. Oh, and of course they are veered from their course (and forced to spend more time with each other) when a drunk Caroline, thinking the boys who are driving her home, breaks out of the van and wanders into New York City alone and barely coherent. For a little added entertainment, we learn Norah has a secret that allows her instant access to any club, regardless of how many people are waiting outside. Throw in Norah’s jealous and scheming ex-boyfriend and the night is primed for adventure and conflict.

If you’re looking for a ground breaking movie, you may want to skip on Nick and Norah. But if you’re simply looking for a laugh (and if you love movies that have a constant soundtrack in the background) Nick and Norah is for you. The film is chock full of laughs ( like when SNL’s Adam Sandberg makes a cameo as a homeless gay man who comes on to Nick) and the many storylines help keep things entertaining. Honestly, if I had grown up outside New York City, I would want my life to unfold in exactly the same way—Hollywood stereotypes and all.

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox