Not trampy, not vampy


or...my search for the perfect red nail polish.

I've been feeling super restless these past few days...you know one of those moods where you end up getting an impulse dye-job or bangs-of-the-moment...also known as the fastest route to 'buyer's remorse'
Walking around Boots (our upscale version of CVS) the other night, I was suddenly inspired to buy some nail polish...the easiest, quickest and least committed way to bring about a bit of change to a tired old look.
I went from one counter to the other, trying on a million different shades of red on my nails until I landed at the Chanel counter. That was it. I was in love. Chanel's Lotus Rouge (F '07). Just like the name, it was classy, sexy, rich and deep....oh-so-perfectly-red (without trying too hard)...Just standing at the counter and it trying on, I was supremely impressed. The color came on lovely and smooth...no textured brushstrokes visible...and only took one coat and three simple brushstrokes to cover each nail. Even with my clumsy, uncoordinated moves, it ended up looking like I'd shelled out a lot of money for a manicure.
Of course, story of my life, they didn't have any in stock. Argh! I saw a similar shade at YSL: Copyright Red, but they didn't have that in stock either.
24 hours later, I am still loving the Chanel on my nails (ahem, I might've gone back and 'tried' it on all 10 of my tips...in my defense, I had to know if I loved it or not...and I now know that I DO).
I have been trying to justify the price of the polish too...at KD 7 ($26) it is quite steep...but considering that is generally the price of a single professional manicure, and that I could paint my nails at home multiple times with the same bottle...is it worth it?

(btw, M, I miss OPI...I will have to look out for it in K., haven't seen them around though...maybe Sephora? Hmm...)

(EDIT: Just to put things in perspective for all y'all in the States...a regular bottle of np from the Boots store brand costs about KD 3.250 or 13 bucks...I have tried 2 of them and they chip super fast and need at least 3 coats to look good.)

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox