Snuggie... The Best Invention Ever

(photo courtesy of: http://www.grumpygroom.com)

Always one to buy into a fad (but not normally infomercials), I, M, am a proud owner of a Snuggie, the blanket with sleeves! My mother gave it to me as a gift this weekend and I could not be more pleased. I immediately ripped open the box, and shoved my arms into the fleece (or faux fleece? It does feel a bit airplane blanket-esque) sleeves. I opened up my May 2009 issue of Marie Claire, started texting on my iPhone and opened a bottle of VitaminWater10 (lemonade flavor, of course) -- all without needing to have my arms being cold. Hallelujah. This invention is ingenious, will be brought to every cold Red Sox game with me, and its' infomercial is priceless.


From an advertising perspective, I can't help but be a bit mystified as to how the Snuggie became such a cult phenomenon. I mean, look at the photo above. Even Matt Lauer loves his Snuggie. Is it because the infomercial is so cheesy? Because the Snuggie kind of looks like an oversized bathrobe? Maybe because it's such a simple idea that I wonder why I didn't think of it? Either way, I love my Snuggie -- anyone can bet on the fact that I'll be curled up in it tonight while I watch The Hills. While it's not quite comparable with snuggling with someone, it's an alright substitute.

-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox