Recessionistas Unite!

(image courtesy of: http://blogs.louloumagazine.com)

It's no secret that I love a deal. While the economy is less than fabulous, the deals that it brings are miraculous to my bargain hunting self. There always is a silver lining, isn't there?

Some bargains to note in the Boston area. Yesterday during my lunch hour I made a mad dash to Filene's Basement (the mecca of all things designer and cheap) on Boylston Street in Boston, MA, to scour through their racks. Lo and behold, I found Coach platform mules (these, to be exact) for $27.00. Yes. You read that right. Coach shoes that retail for $207.00 for $27.00. Twenty-seven dollars. Also on the table, more boots (full and ankle) for 70% off with an additional 30% off. If you're lucky like me, you can then use a 20% coupon on top of it. Even if you don't like them - can you say gift for your mother, sister, aunt, boss, etc. Nothing beats looking like you spent a lot when you got a deal.

Also a deal at the Boylston Street location. Kenneth Lane strawberry necklaces for under $20. That right, the $113.00 necklace you (and I) have been lusting over on shopbop.com and shopkitson.com for months - on sale! Makes me happy I waited. I made it the focal piece of my outfit today. Paired with a Theory short-sleeved turtleneck top and wide leg black trousers, I've received a-many compliments.

This past weekend while on my mini-shopping spree with my mom, K and her mother, I found more cheap goodies at the Filenes Basement in the Northshore Mall than I could carry. The best deal of the weekend? C&C California tops (like what LC used to wear all the time during her Laguna Beach days) for under $10. I paid $3.50 for a gorgeous turquoise C&C tank. Also an amazing deal? The Velvet exclusively for Barney's Co-Op top that I got for $3.50. Original price? $158.00. Sweet.

Finally today, I wandered around the Prudential in Boston during my lunch hour, sipping my Teavana iced tea (today's choice? Ginger Peach Apricot and Strawberry Slender) and found a new store where my beloved Mango once stood. Introducing Item. Basically a 344 outlet (which for all of you twenty-somethings that boycotted 344 since the closing of Jasmine Sola, means a store that's the equivalent to the former Jasmine Sola outlet on Commonwealth Avenue). With this post, I officially lift my boycott on 344, as I found cocktail dresses for a mere $19.00 and C&C California tanks (apparently the deal of the week everywhere) for $10.00. Tops by Splendid were priced at a reasonable $19.00 and $29.00 and sunglasses were $10.00. At those prices, anyone can afford to stock up!

While we can find plenty of fashion deals, where is one to get a drink (or a night out with the boyfriend, friends, whoever) for cheap? K just tipped me off to Roggies. Located on Chestnut Hill Avenue, just outside of Cleveland Circle, Roggies serves draft beer for $1.00. A dollar! Also a find? The Avenue, a hole-in-the-wall bar on Commonwealth Avenue with drafts for $1.50 (with a $5.00 cover charge). Even in a recession we can still go out for drinks. Thank gosh!

-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox