The Best Years Of Our Lives

(photo courtesy of mtv.com)

No lie. I think I can vouch for P and I when I say that we are nostalgic for our college years. Afterall, it's when we met. We could cut class, watch Vh1 marathons of America's Next Top Model, order from our favorite Wings restaurant, and go out for drinks whenever we want (regardless of what night it was). Our schedules could be based around our needs - meaning sleep. No classes before 11am were always preferable. I mastered the ability to have four day weekends. We wrote papers in the library and made it fun. We only had to pay for the bare necessities (meaning food, clothing and various drinks - and of course by that I mean every flavor of Vitaminwater possible). Speaking of which, is it just me or are college campuses the guinea pigs for new flavors? I swear I bought the "Formula 50" flavor before it was approved by any FDA regulation.

But I digress...

Now that P and I are working women, joining the ranks of young professionals (for nearly a year now!), we have little time for such relaxation that college gave us. Sure, we don't miss the all-nighters, research papers and final exams (damn those bubble sheets!). But we do miss the former priorities. Dating. TV watching. Going to the occasional party.

Thanks to MTV, we can vicariously live this life again. College Life premiered last night - conveniently after The Hills. I am convinced that my life freshman (or sophomore, junior and senior year) would give more of a storyline (cheating boyfriends! breakups! roommates! trying to overcome dining hall food!), MTV has done well. By giving four college freshmen handheld cameras, we meet Jordan, Alex, Andrea and Kevin. Somehow I can relate a little bit to each one. Jordan deals with his racial identity on his college campus. Alex struggles with commitment issues. Andrea juggles an ex-boyfriend and Kevin parties too hard.

Come to think of it, maybe we shouldn't miss college as much as we do.

-M

Sidenote: Did anyone else catch Kevin's friend wearing a UMass Lacrosse t-shirt? Is there a UMass connection to College Life? If so, this is even more amazing. Info needed from anyone who has it!

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox