Oh Yes Dice-K, Of Course I'll Marry You!

(image courtesy of me, my Canon Powershot and my Paint program)

Allow me to give my complete belated live blogging (via notes taken on my iPhone application) of my Opening Day 2009 experience here in Boston yesterday. Enjoy.

7:27am: 1st sighting of another person in Red Sox gear heading to work while walking through Cambridge. I get giddy at the fact that Opening Day will actually happen.

7:36am: 1st listen of 'Love That Dirty Water' by The Standells. If you don't know why, then obviously you've never been to Boston (or seen Fever Pitch). For shame.

7:41am: 1st strange look from random girl on the T for my outfit. Beckett t-shirt with a Juicy Couture navy blue long sleeved shirt. Jeans. Green BoSox hat. Red Sox Crocs. Big whoop. She was in a suit, professional? Yes. But there's no need to stare. Rudeness.

1:30pm: Co-worker asking me why I'm still at work. I'm wondering the same at the exact same moment, actually.

1:45pm: Another co-worker sees my feet and asks, 'Are you wearing Red Sox Crocs?!' I begrudgingly say yes, and silently vow to myself to never wear these ugly excuses for shoes out in public ever again.

2:00pm: Out of work! Hallejuah! Walk the 10 minutes to Fenway to meet up with my boyfriend in front of the Kenmore T station.

2:17pm: Quick McDonalds pit stop. I can never say no to a french fry (or fifty).

2:40pm: Walking down Yawkey Way and find an amazing balloon guy that makes a balloon Wally the Green Monster!!!!I turn into a five-year-old and decide that I must have one. While it's being made, I find myself staring at the life-sized Red Sox balloon player standing next to me and the balloon artist. I'm tempted to grab it and run to my apartment and put it in the corner of my room, but resist the temptation.

2:50pm: Walking down Yawkey Way... with my Wally the Green Monster positioned on my head. My boyfriend pretends not to know me (I don't blame him).

3:00pm: In the park and walking around the Grandstand SRO area to snipe a good location to see the festivities. We have bleacher seats, but I have a gut instinct about standing in the Grandstand.

3:20pm: Send my boyfriend off for a round of Sam Adams Summer Ale. I impatiently stand, holding my balloon Wally the Green Monster.

3:25pm: Two women stop and gawk at my balloon Wally. Reinforces the fact that I'm standing there, holding it like an idiot.

3:30pm: Suddenly see a row of Boston police officers lining up by the door directly to my right. Attempt to call my boyfriend because I know something's gonna happen. He doesn't hear it, oh well.

3:35pm: More police officers and security. I start to inch over closer.

3:45pm: The red door to my right opens and a line of white jerseys come walking out. It takes me (and everyone around me) 2.5 seconds to realize that we're staring at Dice-K, Smoltz and Papelbon walking out towards us. I squeal and run over.

3:45:30pm: Standing next to Dice-K. He sees me and smiles. I almost faint. Can a smile be a marriage proposal? Yes? Then, yes I will Dice-K. YES!

3:50pm: Almost forget that Papelbon is standing right next to me too. I contemplate jumping on him like a crazed fangirl, but resist. He looks very much in the game zone. Almost pitbull like. Frightening much? Meanwhile the guys standing next to me are having a full on conversation with Smoltz about playing in the outfield. Cannot.believe.this.is.happening.

3:51pm: Players go on the field. I squeal some more and go back to where I stood before. Boyfriend finds me, Sam Summer Ale in hand. Says he couldn't get through since they (obviously) blocked foot traffic, but he stood right near where Lester, Masterson and Wakefield walked in. Ridiculous.

3:53pm: First pitch with Jim Rice and Ted Kennedy. Won't lie, almost tear up. Poor Teddy Kennedy really isn't looking so good. :(

4:00pm: Jets fly over. So loud. My poor eardrums.

4:08pm: Beckett strikes out the first batter he faces of the season. A good sign for the rest of the year?

4:10pm: Making my way around Fenway Park to get to my bleacher seats. My feet get tired quickly in Crocs. While parting the seas of people waiting for beer, one of my balloon Wally's eyes pop. I almost want to cry.

4:14pm: Pedroia hits a homerun at his first at bat of the season! Definitely a good sign for the rest of the year. The homerun elicits chants of, "MVP! MVP! MVP" from all of Fenway Park. All I can think of is Pedroia's MLP 09 commercials (my personal favorite is this one). During this thought, I realize how cute Pedroia is. Maybe I need to hold off on giving Dice-K a definitive yes to his proposal...

4:25pm: I realize that bleacher seats aren't actually bad, as long are you're within rows 1-20. Sweet view of the bullpen and great atmosphere with other Red Sox fans who have the mentality of hockey parents. Awesome.

5:00pm: 1st Fenway Frank of the season. Best dinner I could ask for.

5:15pm: Double fisting hot chocolate and Legal's clam chowder in an attempt to stay warm.

5:50pm: Varitek hits a single homerun! I can't remember the last time I've seen him hit like that! Hallelujah. I knew it was good for him to sign back on for this season.

6:00pm: My hands are officially cold. Freezing. I forgot how cold Fenway Park gets in April. I remember to bring gloves, a scarf and maybe a blanket for game 2 of the series. I try to think of warm thoughts - like August Red Sox games where it's so hot that I can't stand melting.

6:38pm: Sweet Caroline plays. There's cameras around and I get a text from my friend in upstate New York that says, "I see you." Creepy? Was I on TV? Did anyone else see me singing along to Neil Diamond? I knew I should have put makeup on at Sephora before I left! Damnit!

6:35pm: Papelbon runs onto the field with Dropkick Murphy's blaring out of the speakers at Fenway. Everyone in the entire arena stands and starts clapping and dancing.

6:44pm: Red Sox win! Love That Dirty Water starts playing. I feel so at home as I walk out of Fenway. Yay for Spring!!!

8:30pm: Get back to my apartment after grabbing food at B.Good on Newbury Street. Immediately pull out my Lester t-shirt and jeans and put them in my bag for tonight's game 2. Yes, I am going to two games back to back. Don't judge me because I know you're just jealous.

-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox