Spring Break Fashion 2009

(photo courtesy of: http://fashiontribes.typepad.com)
In the spirit of all things great and Spring Break related, I give to you, the best part of Spring Break 2009. The clothing. I don't know about you, but I have never been happier to shed my work-appropriate pencil skirts, ballet flats, and long sleeved sweaters. The thought of seeing another 'Dry Clean Only' tag makes me break out in hives. I long for the days of comfy, non-confining, cotton clothing.

That being said, I have long declared Spring Break to be the time of Juicy Couture. With their unbeatably comfortable tracksuits, it's the best for comfortwear. This spring, I've eyed in Saks, a new anchor design which is completely Spring Break appropriate. While I'm not the hugest fan of the white terry shorts that Neiman Marcus pairs with it, with a pair of simple white terry pants like these, you're good to go on the boat, or to the beach during your Spring Break excursions.

Comfortable jeans are, undoubtedly, spring break necessities as well. Although in this (bluntly-put) crapalicious time in the US and global economy, few can enjoy the pleasures of luxury denim, it's high on the priority list for myself. If you can, indulge in a pair of 7 For All Mankinds for Spring Break. With the classic A pocket print and medium denim wash, they're perfect to pull over your bikini bottoms for a little post-beach shopping trip or happy hour drink. Also a suitable choice? Abercrombie's destroyed light wash denim (I favor the Madison cut), as always. Not a jeans fan while in the warmth of wherever your destination is? Then a denim skirt is a definite must. Abercrombie's are always a trustworthy standby.

Obviously always a necessity is the swimsuit. I'm partial and biased to bikinis - and only bikinis - even if my body isn't in 100% bikini shape. My personal favorite on my wish list for this resortwear season is this sailor themed one from Victoria's Secret. It screams adorable and sea-loving at the same time. Pair the top with the white Juicy set, and a pair of Havaiana flip flops (like these in cute prints at Nordstrom!) and it's good to go.

What to wear over your cutest bikini at the beach though? I always reach for the standby Juicy Couture smocked terry coverup, but for you terry cloth haters out there (A - I'm pointing at you), there are alternatives. Shopbop has an array of cover-ups, including this perfectly beachy one by Ella Moss. While I despise ombre print, I do love the tie-dye effect that this gives.

The one dilemma that Spring Break always gives? What to wear out to dinner. Say if your boyfriend wants to be so nice to treat you to a nice dinner out at a place that doesn't scream jello shots and bar munchies (nudge nudge - if anyone wants to pass this message onto my boyfriend, thanks). Dresses for Spring Break are optional, but in my experience, if one isn't packed, then it'll be needed. So pack one, but it needs to not be wrinkled easily, and not too dressy. You want to scream 'beach chic' with it, and not 'prom dress reject.' I found a few that appear doable, both on sale at Neiman Marcus. One by T-Bags that's the ever-favorite colorblock style, and another by Alice + Olivia that's a bit dressier and Blair Waldorf-esque.

But what to put all of this in? Beach totes are some of the best inventions ever. They appear small, but can somehow fit all of the above, a beach towel and your iPhone in it. Tory Birch makes a great selection - with fantastic prints like this one. If you're more of a canvas fan, the trusty Juicy Couture makes some great ones with cute sayings.

Don't forget to tuck away your oversized Ralph Lauren beach towel, bring enough chick lit for the plane or car ride, and don't forget plenty of snacks during your week-long getaway. If anyone deserves it, then we all do, Pop Culture Paradox readers.

-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox