I Love College

(photo courtesy of: http://www.myvegasscene.com)



I have a song obsession, and it's a bit of a dirty secret. Asher Roth's, I Love College, is on constant rotation on my iPhone and iTunes. It brings be back to my days as a fraternity boy's girlfriend and sneaking into bars on Thirsty Thursday nights. With lyrics like, "That party last night was awfully crazy, I wish we taped it. I danced my ass off and had this one girl completely naked. Drink my beer and smoke my weed, my good friends is all i need. Pass out a 3 wake up at 10, go out to eat then do it again," it's difficult not to remember my days drinking cheap beer (ew) and hungover brunches with friends the following morning. (For the record, I was not the girl that smoked her weed, I leave that to boys like Michael Phelps.) The song brings on the nostalgia that was the undergraduate years of college - and the recklessness that comes with it.


Although hilarious, with lyrics like that, it's difficult to possibly take Asher Roth seriously as a musician. Yes, his song (and music video) make me giggle. He might have the Spring Break 2009 anthem under his belt but his Wikipedia page seems to peg him as... an actual rapper? An album out in April? Really? I thought this song was to be considered a joke! Homeboy grew up in Morrisville, PA - and lists his first cd as Dave Matthews' Crash. Not exactly the making of the next Eminem, right?


I guess Roth's musical future is to be seen - but my thoughts are screaming one hit wonder - and we all see where Chumbawumba is now.


-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox