The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

(photo courtesy of www.slashfoods.com)

I know, I know. December was months ago. What am I talking about this being, "the most wonderful time of the year?" There are no major holidays upon us. It's not even sunny and warm out yet. There is, however, readers, a glimmer of hope for this to be the best time of year yet -- and that my friends, is Mini Egg season. I nearly passed out of happiness at my local CVS tonight when I saw the rack of the sugar-high inducing purple bags. For the record, I also promptly whipped out my iPhone, took a snapshot and sent it over to P via email. That's how giddy this candy makes us.

Cadbury Mini Eggs have a special place in my heart. As a child, Easter meant candy. Not church, but sugar. Easter brought on pink and green baskets filled with Peeps, little duckie shaped Sweettarts, knick-knacks like Seventeen magazines and nail polish. Most importantly though, it meant bags and bags of the best candy ever. Crunchy and sugary on the outside. Smooth and chocolate on the inside. I used to try to bite off all of the sugar coating (I never did care too much about chocolate in general) to savor the crunchy goodness. I've been a multi-decade devoted fan of Mini Eggs, and during that time, their popularity grew. Now Cadbury makes Christmas-style Mini Eggs. Thumbs down from me. The red and green food dye tastes nothing like the pastel colors of spring.

The love for Mini Eggs brought my group of girls (particularly P) together in college. We'd load up on bags when they'd hit the CVS shelves. They'd sit everywhere. In our rooms. On our desks. Inside our freezers. Within our candy bowls on random bureaus. My diet consisted for the majority of the springtime of my sophomore and junior year of Mini Eggs, Corona Light and ice water. (While I don't condone such a diet, I didn't do so badly while on it.) We ate them while watching episodes of The Hills and dvds of Sex and The City. We snuck bags of them into movies at the Amherst area Cinemark. We survived through long Resident Assistant staff meetings with the help of our savior in the purple bag.

Why get so excited over a candy, you might ask? Dear reader, go run (literally, run) to the nearest CVS and find out why for yourself. Why do I say run? Because I'm probably there at this very moment snatching up the supply for myself. Easter might be a time for religious reflection, repentance and selflessness -- but no one gets between me and my Mini Eggs.

-M




Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox