The Fame Ball Comes To Boston!

(photo courtesy of: http://neonlimelight.com)

Lady GaGa says time and time again in interviews that no, she is not just a pop musician, she is an artist. She's not Britney Spears, or Miley Cyrus - manufactured simply for pop music and tabloids pleasure. She is an educated (albeit NYU dropout, but we'll overlook that), talented, artist that wants to be the future of pop music and culture. In all of these interviews, I admit, I scoff. I love GaGa's music, The Fame ranks in as one of my top 10 favorite albums of all time (no joke). But a serious artist? I thought she was just another 23 year old girl that wanted to sing and dance for a living, and maybe score some free designer duds while she's at it. Haven't we seen this before?

I was wrong. Savor those words because you won't hear them often. I had the honor of being front row at tonight's The Fame Ball tour at the House of Blues in Boston. While I still feel iffy about the House of Blues as a venue, I feel confident in the artistry that is Lady GaGa. GaGa is what we at Pop Culture Paradox love and value. Her tour is infused with Andy Warhol and pop art. Her hour long set is broken down by video clips telling the story of "fame" taking over one's being -- heart, head and face -- one's full identity. While her album speaks of only needing, 'runway models, Cadillacs and liquor bottles,' GaGa (or at least her tour managers)' depth of studying fame and pop culture goes much deeper.


I became addicted to pop art, as we know from previous posts, at a young age. I loved pop art from my 5th grade art classes where we had to design the back of a men's button-down shirt in the style of our favorite artist. I chose Andy Warhol and his silkscreen, commercial style. I love the consumerism that pop art shows, and the idea that common items and people can be art. For a pop art addict, Lady GaGa's show is basically the equivalent of an acid trip. My eyes locked onto everything. Her fashion - including a bubble dress (and who really cares if it was ripped off from a designer?). Her constant use of pop art style glasses and hats to shield her face. Her lack of pants (for the entire show! Props to her for having the confidence to show her bum for a hour in front of thousands of fans!). Her show even intellectually stimulates the consumerist, future advertising executive within me where I see product placement in her Clockwork Orange style films (Johnson and Johnson Baby Powder - who else noticed it?) and costumes (Hello grafitti collection by Louis Vuitton in that final encore outfit).

I walked out of the House of Blues feeling more fulfilled by GaGa's concert than expected. While a good pop concert is always great, one that revs the intellectual stimulation comes few and far between. GaGa said that to her, Lady GaGa is a lie -- like a lie you tell your lover in hopes that the lie can become truth. By doing so, GaGa sets herself so far apart from all the other pop princesses of Hollywood. I expect no mental breakdown from this one - or at least we can hope. The only downside to GaGa's wonder - she's younger than I am! Talk about putting this blogger to shame.

Also worth mentioning. The setlist can be found at this review of GaGa's recent Chicago stop. Personal favorite song of the night? Eh, Eh, Nothing Else I Can Say - although it may be because it strikes a personal chord with me. Opening for GaGa was Cinema Bizarre, a German punk band with a four-song set. Chester French and The White Tie Affair also opened, who I have to give kudos for. Chester French's cover of Hella Good by the so-good-it-hurts-to-listen-to-them No Doubt made my night complete. The White Tie Affair is amazing live - they pulled off my favorite songs from their album (Candle [Sick & Tired] & Allow Me To Introduce Myself...) along with an AH-MAZ-ING Lil' Wayne cover. Yes, you heard me right, just click on the link. You'll love it too.

-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox