R.I.P. Total Request Live



Remember simpler times in all of our lives? Before there were obligations like work, graduating, figuring out your life. When the most important thing on our minds were which boy liked us in the 6th grade, and when I'd finally get kissed for the first time. Yeah, I remember those times. And I also remember the perfection of TRL on MTV. Every afternoon. After school. 4pm. During the summer when I'd have nothing to do but walk to the candy store that's 5 minutes down the street from my parent's place to get Slush Puppies and blue raspberry flavored Tootsie Rolls, TRL would air at 3pm. Meaning I would get my daily vote (obviously for whatever Britney video was out at the moment, or you know, any *NSync video, since Justin Timberlake was always swoon-worthy, even with that unfortunate horrible white boy 'fro phase he went through...) into 1800-DIAL-MTV by 2pm. Hurrah. 1998-2002 was a great era for MTV.

Well, sadly, like the rest of my childhood, TRL has also died. I can no longer take solace in watching screaming teenage girls declare their love for Justin Timberlake or gay guys in love with Britney Spears. Some, including myself, might argue that the show died when Carson Daly left to host his horrible late night show. No other host was quite as adorably cute as Carson. Swoon. Plus, then the hosts started to only play about .357 seconds of a video, which was just annoying. Anyway, for those who missed the "Total Finale Live" last night, here's some online clips to satisfy your pop music fix. Enjoy and long live 1999.

BSB performing 'I Want It That Way'
, courtesy of Dailymotion.
Travis Barker's interview, courtesy of YouTube.
The #1 most influential video (according to TRL), courtesy of ONTD.
Beyonce's performance, courtesy of Dailymotion.

-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox