Bargains Galore!



I went to visit my parents this past weekend on the North Shore. While my visit was well intentioned, it certainly had ulterior motives -- namely, laundry and the new Nordstrom Rack that just opened up in my hometown. As a bargain fiend (with few expendable funds), I thought the Rack would be the perfect place to indulge a bit after my weeks of hard work - and frugally spent paychecks.

While I attempted to push though the (literal) mob of people inside the Rack, I found amazing designer sunglasses for under 100 bucks. Think Dior. Lagerfeld. Juicy. Gucci. Betsey Johnson. Burberry earmuffs for 50 bucks. I snagged the brown Tulle coat I wanted last year for 35 bucks (much easier on the pocket than the ridiculously marked up price at Jasmine Sola last year) and a pair of Minnetonka Moccasins for 30 bucks. Thank gosh, a new bargain haven.

Me and A, one of my best friends, have been bargain hunting fiends for awhile now. Bored on a Tuesday night? Go to TJMaxx or Marshalls. Have only $20 left in our checking account and really need to buy something because otherwise we might implode? Go to Filenes Basement. It's our calling. We love designers but hate (or can't afford on entry level salaries) the pricetag. For us, it's how we've been doing our best shopping for ages, but for others, we're nothing other than the new breed of shoppers. Recessionistas.

Great, now that the NYTimes has given attention to such bargain hunting, clearly more people will be trying to grab the $29 Theory blazer that I eye on the salesrack. The economic downturn sucks even more for me.
-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox