Staged Reality?



Now now, I'm not insulting anyone's intelligence. We're all aware of certain "reality" shows that aren't so much reality. When it comes to The Hills, I don't mind. But there is a crop of reality shows on MTV that I watch on these days off that I have, and, well, I'm confused as to how I could even possibly see these shows as real. I mention my most laughable, unrealistic, favorites here.


Parental Control. I would like to see any set of parents willing to sit down with a heinous boyfriend that they despise. I would like to see any boyfriend that's a total jackass (that's believeable) that's willing to sit down and watch me date, kiss (and probably do other stuff) with two other guys (not so believeable). I'd also like to see a slew of teenagers who all, somehow, break the news of choosing one of three partners in the exact same scripted fashion. Yes, complete with even the same dramatic sigh before saying the last eliminated name. Oh boy. What coincedence. Even it's participants admit it's staged. Whatever happened to NDA's???


The Ex-Factor. I will not lie. I am completely and totally sucked into this show. I dont know how anyone watching it can actually believe that these two couples ever thought that this was an actual 'resort' they were going to, or that we're supposed to believe that this ever-smiling woman that always brings bad news ("So, your partners are going pole dancing today as an afternoon activity!") is an actual resort worker. I also don't know how we are to believe that this resort never has anyone else around, actually has dinners set up on cheap patio furniture in the middle of an infinity pool, or actually somehow has such survillance for this spying on the ex'es. Regardless, the idea of this is absolutely killer. What would I do if I was with my ex for a weekend (and didn't think I was being spied on)? What would my boyfriend do with his ex? What would I do with the guy I'd be in the room with if I just saw my boyfriend cheat on me with his ex? Yeah -- I think the reality might be better than MTV's staged setup on this one. But wait, if this is staged - then was Temptation Island staged? I feel as though my entire television past as a child was all a sham. It's like realizing that the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny all don't exist. Who else brings me my Mini Eggs every Easter Sunday?!


Finally, the show I can't figure out if it's real or not. The new Dr. Drew hosted, Sex With Mom & Dad. I can't imagine: 1.) being on this show, 2.) telling the story of my sex life to my parents, 3.) my parents EVER reacting this calmly to such news -- we all can think of how my old-fashioned, conservative parents took the news when they found out I was having sex. Period. All of a sudden, these parents aren't about to strangle their kids when they find out that they have a million and one partners? Had sex in the back of their Jetta? Has an admitted 'hatred towards women?' How about the girl who is 19, is having sex with her boyfriend (no biggie) but has not used protection. First, is this girl stupid? Even the worst public school sex education show at least a condom? Doesn't it? Even Sarah Palin now endorses contraception -- although, she might not be the best expert of talking to your kids about sex...


Maybe the parents of today's teenagers have a much more relaxed mindset than my sixty-something year old parents, but I would not even want to think of my daddy's reaction if I had to play the 'What turns you on?' game with them on national television (as it is I got nervous talking about making out in elevators knowing P's mom reads the blog! [Sorry for any offense, by the way!]). No thank you, no. Although, I do give this show some major props for, staged or not, promoting such conversations within families. It can do some (or rather, most,) families some good, and might make talking about sex a bit more productive than it has been in the past. I know that I sure hope for more openness when it comes to my hypothetical children and I.


-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox