"Halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it. "



Last night, while forking through racks and piles of costumes, accessories and clothing with my friend K at the Garment District in Cambridge, I came to fully realize how skanky halloween is as a holiday. In true Mean Girls quotage (see title), all I could find are costumes that show a lot of leg, a lot of boob, and require a lot of makeup. I decided to take my friends' idea of going as "jailbait," since I look like I'm twelve anyway. Fishnet knee-highs, black micromini skirt, tied up oxford shirt, cross necklace, fake lollipop and stuffed animal later, and I look like I belong on my street corner (if you all know what I mean). While I'm more than happy to say that I think I can pull off such a costume, it disheartens me that this is what halloween is for young women. It's either you dress like this and 'be cool' or you wear this and look kind of dumb (no offense gwen, i love you, just not as an egg). This isn't really my idea of empowerment or feminism. Instead, halloween is just another night for guys to gawk like puppy dogs, only this time it's somehow excused. Hmm.

-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox