Didn't Your Mom Teach You Better Than To Curse In Public?



I take a short, time out, from my days off from work (and supposedly away from the ever-needed technological needs from my life), to state something that oddly bothers me as I continue to age. Tonight, I saw courtside at the preseason opening game for the Boston Celtics. Behind me, sat a father (although could be grandfather), a child of about 14 and a child of about 7. All guys. The would-be fourteen year old, for the three hours that I sat there for, continued to use each four letter word that my mother still -- to this day -- tells her almost twenty-three year old to not use. Such four letter words, that although I use them, I do not type out here, in any other column I write, or say around younger, seven-year-old family members.

Now, I don't know if it's the maternal kick in my nudging through again or what, but I wanted to scold this kid so badly. I have the seven-year-old behind me screaming about twinkies (don't even get me started here - but am I that obvious??) and then a fourteen-year-old saying f-bombs right and left. I went to watch Paul Pierce. Not this. The father/grandfather/Santa Claus lookalike? Did not say anything. Do anything. No scolding. No nothing. Appalling.

Maybe my focus should be on all of the college aged students at tonight's game, being drunken fools, and also shouting the f-bomb, but it's not. I have low expectations for college-aged men (for good reason, I think). I cannot possibly think of a locale where my mom (or father) would see it as appropriate for me, circa age 14, to be dropping such vulgar language.

I wish I had a bar of soup with me in my Kate Spade bag tonight.
-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox