'We wanted a white Christmas, so it was a good thing that Mom's husband was a raging cokehead'

I missed Gossip Girl so during my time away, and rightly so, looked forward to last night's episode. Overall, sadly enough, it was a miss. The only moment that my jaw hit the ground, was when S said the titled line. Even then, it wasn't such an oh-my-gosh moment (to be honest, the story that my friend was telling me was -- more on that later). Yawnfest, I feel as though my Monday night was wasted. I need some drama in my life, CW writers, take note. Maybe next week?

Now, with the boring episode of Gossip Girl in my background, one of my best friends shared an appalling/sadly hilarious story of a date that she had while I was in New Orleans. After a bad breakup, she decided to use the internet to find the potential love of her life (or at least of the week, maybe month, or maybe dinner). After pouring over profiles, we found one that seemed to fit -- handsomely gorgeous - his photo looked like he belonged in an Abercrombie advertisement -- and that, is a very very very good thing. It's a shame then, that upon five minutes of meeting her, he said she was stupid for dating her ex-boyfriend for various reasons, and said the f-word, many many times (and no, not the f-word that, although four letters and cannot be said on television, I say and find acceptable. i mean the f-word that's even worse). It goes without saying that his behavior continued to decline throughout the date, as he proved himself to be a classist, elitist, ignorant idiot. Second date. I don't think so.

Which all leads me to my rant. Who do some of these men think they are? What happened to trying to impress a woman on a first date? This man's idea of impressing included a flashy car and expensive steakhouse dinner, when, I think impressing holds more along the lines of holding car doors open, enlightening conversation, a good joke here and there that has PG-13 language. I dont understand how men were raised to think that impressing means anything otherwise. Nothing in our society (I think) says that the way to a woman's heart is through foul language and flat-out rudeness. Am I wrong? Are men being told otherwise? How did this happen? My head hurts from trying to wrap my head around it all. I can honestly say that if this is how men in America are, more and moreso, I have no hope. Bring on the single life, because singledom is, for sure, better than a bigot.

-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox