I almost drowned in a sea of skinny jeans



Last night's concert of The Cab/Plain White T's/Dashboard Confessional/Panic! At The Disco, although fun, was yet another thing on my list of life events that make me feel old. It has been over seven years since my first Dashboard Confessional show (shocking, I know), and within those 84 months or so, the clientele of such concerts has evolved -- and I don't necessarily think for the better.

Firstly, there was all too much bang at the show. And by bang, I mean hair. More specifically, hair across the eyes. While I love a side part as much as any other twentysomething girl, this craze is getting out of hand. I saw men, women, children, teens of all ages sporting a look that oddly resembles Cousin Itt from The Adams Family. How can one person see the concert stage when layers of bangs and mountains of eyeliner block their vision? I can't grasp the concept.
Another concept that it unimaginable to grasp? Skinny jeans. Like really skinny jeans. Jeans that look like spandex. Unless you're Lindsay Lohan, this trend is best kept to the fashion magazines and runways. No, not even rock stars can pull it off. My eyes are scarred after last night's image of The Cab's lead singer. No no, no no. In the words of the beloved Blair Waldorf, 'tights are not a substitute for pants.' Amen.

Now, my adherance to the complete ridiculousness of these trends doesn't necessarily make me old. But, it's the fact that every other person (sans myself and my friend, L), was wearing such clothing/makeup/hairstyle. Some even rocked wristbands -- which I hadn't worn since I was 8 and had tennis practice. Am I completely behind on the times? Did I stick out like a sore thumb at the show last night, sitting in my Paper Denim & Cloth jeans & sweater? I would be so inclined to say yes.

As a sidenote, in case you were wondering. The concert report card is as follows:

The Cab: Thumbs Down
Plain White T's: Thumbs Up
Dashboard Confessional: Thumbs Up
Panic! At The Disco: Thumbs Up (surprisingly!)

-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox