Comcast Is My Best Backstabbing Friend


I would put up a roundup of Tuesday night television (90210, in particular), but right at 8:01pm last night, my Comcast (and that of all my neighbors) decided to die. Not a single channel came in. No On Demand selection. Nothing. Just a black screen in my living room and snow-like static (think, a la The Ring) in my bedroom. It was the worst thing to have happened to me since... well, I can't quite remember. That went down, my internet went down. Comcast, you are my biggest nightmare ever since I moved in two months ago.




That being said, prior to the cable blackout (which makes me think of Brit-Brit's album, Blackout, only that album was fantastic, and this was the pits of an experience) I was enjoying my HBO On Demand selection -- I could only take so much dinnertime news about the spiraling downward sprial of my nations' economy before I needed a break (or CNN was going to induce a panic attack in me as I started to wonder how I would ever keep on affording Tory Burch bags, pretty dresses -- oh right, and food like my beloved mac & cheese -- and, oh right, that pesky thing called rent).

Now I took an advertising/media class back during my sophomore year of college. As the professor criticized mainstream media, he stated that the only television with any validity, meaning and substance (as far as shows go) are those that he's seen on HBO. I'd like to include Showtime in this selection now as well (hello, has no one else seen Californication? It's great, although the first time I saw it, I was sitting with my possible mother-in-law and it was just, uh, awkward.) as well. Anyway, HBO recently put the first season of Six Feet Under up for my viewing pleasure. Now, also during the timeframe of my media class, my then-boyfriend and I became quickly obsessed with Six Feet Under. Our relationship lasted as long as we could make our way through four seasons on DVD (spread out, have no fear, I can hold onto a man for longer than a few weeks, thank you very much). I never did get to the fifth (and final) season after the tumultuous breakup. Now, hopefully HBO can give me the fifth season via my handy On Demand button, but until then, I'll settle for the early episodes. I forgot how cute Nate Fisher is, how much Brenda is like me, and how hilarious Ruth Fisher is. There goes my weeknights that I have free.
-M



Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox