Signature Scent

(image courtesy of: http://johnniecraig.files.wordpress.com)



My friend J.D. lamented the loss of her Dolce & Gabbana perfume this weekend. A casualty in the 4th of July weekend, its whereabouts are unknown after a BBQ and one too many glasses of summer ale. I first didn't grasp the severity of the situation (didn’t I see three other sprays in her room?!) until I realized the importance of a woman's signature scent.

Everyone remembers the scene in 'How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days' when Andie's crazy friend's boyfriend of a nanosecond comes crawling back. He realized he missed her when the scent of her perfume wore off his pillow. Although cheesy (and okay, cute, because I doubt any guy would ever say that), it’s true. Scents link memories past to the present. My mother wears Anice Anice - and the mere name brings me back as a five year old watching her apply her perfume in the small, blue bathroom adjacent to her and my father's bedroom. I sat, hoping to steal a smear of her Cover Girl foundation - nevermind the fact that we're two completely different skin tones. The scent of cucumber melon from Bath & Body Works takes me to high school era joyrides (and covering up the scent of teenage rebellion). Juicy Couture's signature perfume sends me to my 4th floor dorm room, eating take out, drinking wine and watching Sex & The City or The Hills with P and our friend and T.

As I fully emerge (and ok, finally accept) myself as a full fledged adult, career-working, no-longer-a-child woman, I think its time for a true signature scent for myself. My almost final decision? Delices de Cartier by Cartier.

-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox