Required Shopping


(image courtesy of: http://thisislavie.com/)
Nina Garcia is quickly filling my bookcase shelves. On a whim of luck, I found "The One Hundred" on sale at Urban Outfitters in the Fanueil Hall Marketplace. I devoured the book in a day and a half and feel inspired by Garcia's list of must-haves for every fashionable woman. I agree with many of her picks and have a few of my own. As Garcia writes, "It is important for everyone who reads this book to know that I have adapted and edited each item on this list to suit my style, my body, my personality. I should hope you will do the same." That being said, here are just a few of my personal must haves for every fashionista.

-Boston Red Sox Baseball Cap.
A must have for every New England girl. I've owned one for as long as I've been alive. A fashion statement in itself, it shows your regional allegiance, pride for Boston, and the belief that, yes, the Yankees suck. It also doubles as a great cover for the days you sleep through your alarm and lose precious hair straightening minutes. Available in a myriad of colors, but let's face it, the only one that matters is the ever-classic red and blue. Whatever you do, don’t be accused of being a pink hat fan!

-Tiara.
No I'm not talking about a five dollar at Claires kind of tiara. A real tiara, a la Princess Diana. Not recommended for everyday office wear (but who am i to judge?), Everyone can channel their inner princess on their birthday, holiday or any day while lounging in a silk robe. Swarovski makes some great options.

-Denim.
Specifically, jeans. I’m positive that my jean obsession started with my no-jeans-allowed prep school dress code. Much like relationships, you don’t know what you have until it’s gone – or in this case, not allowed. Garcia writes as a fun fact that the average person owns 8.3 pairs of jeans. I counted. I own 40. That are currently clean in my closet. So, let’s say 50 when taking dirty laundry into thought. It’s a lot of denim, but I have no buyers remorse. Skinny leg. Bootcut. Wide leg. Destroyed. Boyfriend fit. Dark wash. Light wash. A lot of options becomes a lot of shopping. One note with jeans: it’s great to discount shop, but I never suggest doing so with denim. Quality denim feels great, fits great and, most importantly, doesn’t stretch out. A co-worker of mine had an unfortunate jean find last week at Urban Outfitters where the denim just didn’t sit well and stretched out after one day. Forever 21 jeans are also infamous to stretch after one wear. Keep the bargains for tops, and try on pairs by Seven for all Mankind, Citizens for Humanity, J Brand, Paper Denim & Cloth and Earnest Sewn. Your legs will thank you.

-Lip gloss.
The one cosmetic necessity for every woman. I don’t care if it’s Cherry Chapstick, Chanel, Stila or anything inbetween. Lips get chapped and uncomfortable. Lips are a visual focal point during conversation. Make them look as good as the rest of you!

-Black turtleneck.
A la Audrey Hepburn. One in cashmere is a winter necessity. It screams classic, classy and professional. Always flattering and slimming, it somehow always hugs in the right places. Consider it a new best friend.

-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox