Graduation Fashion?

(image courtesy of: http://shenyuepop.com)


Here in Boston, Northeastern University's graduation is today. This would explain the influx of billowy, black, trash bag-esque gowns wandering around the Prudential Center this morning. I remember the first time I stepped into a graduation robe. Last year. 2008. At my own college graduation. I was shockingly excited to wear the frock that the commencement office handed over to me, simply due to it's newness. I attended a small, private, New England prep school for high school, and an even smaller, private New England independent school for Kindergarten-8th grade. Both graduations required white sundresses for graduation. No trash bags for the proper and preppy.



My excitement last year wained about 10 minutes after throwing on the cap and gown. The gown made me look even smaller than my 5'0" stature. The hat ruined my makeup on my upper forehead. It took 20 bobby pins to keep my cap in place. Lastly, black on a hot day is a curse from graduation gods. Who thought putting graduates in all black was a good idea?!



I think the private schools that I attended were onto something when they shunned caps and gowns at graduation. White dresses are so chic now. The LWD is the LBD of the daytime. One quick glance at Neiman Marcus online shows a slew of pretty, can-be-worn-all-summer white, graduation appropriate dresses. My personal favorite is this Diane von Furstenburg. It's perfect for graduating, boating, beach walking, bbq'ing (just don't forget the Tide To Go if you're as klutzy with a cheeseburger as I!). Ideal white dress options are also available from Catherine Malandrino (although I prefer her black, studded, Serena Van der Woodsen worn dress that I never got my hands on - so sad!), Dolce & Gabbana, Theory and Nanette Lapore.

So, soon-to-be graduates, rebel against the trash-bag attire, and look pretty! Nothing says celebration like a flowing, cotton (or cotton-blend) white dress. Pair it with a lily behind your ear and either a white clutch (like
this fun Marc Jacobs) or go for a bit of color and spurge on this perfect, deep blue Alexander McQueen clutch. We might be in a recession, but it's your graduation, and you know that after four years of all-nighters, research papers, boring lecture hall classes, and senior thesis writing, you deserve a good gift.


-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox