"Don't You Just Love A Bargain?"

(image courtesy of: http://agentsofurbanism.com)

Bargain shopping is not a new activity for me and my group of friends. Although the droopy economy boasts our efforts as now-chic and responsible, we spent the better part of our years in school scouring through racks at our favorite discount designer hotspots. Our closets stand stocked with Juicy Couture sweatsuits, Lacoste polos, Seven for all Mankind jeans, and Theory blazers. Our dirty little secret is that we almost never pay full price. I mean, do I look like I can afford a $455 Theory blazer (seen here, on the left)? It's cute, but not 'I might as well sell my first born' cute. My secret? I paid $30 on clearance at a discount shop on the North Shore of Massachusetts. A recent Wall Street Journal article examined such bargain shopping techniques and what it means for the future of retail and luxury goods. Pop Culture Paradox realizes that bargain hunting is an art - one that we feel that we mastered after years (and lessons from our dear mothers) of practice. Let us share some of our secrets so you too can look like you paid a zillion dollars for your first date outfit, when you really only paid about a hundred.

In the WSJ article, it asks, "...What next then for retail? It looks like the immediate answers might be found in three concepts: designer shopping online, discounted online luxury sample sales and discount designer malls." I will admit, it took a little bit for me to jump onto the members-only, online sample sale bandwagon, but once I did, it hit full force. WSJ showcases Gilt Groupe (where, if you're not a member, join here with me as a reference). Their recent sales include Christian Louboutin (!!!), Tory Burch and J Brand. Gilt Groupe is currently holding a Jack Spade sale (only until noon today) where laptop bags are $68 (normally $225).

I can't resist a bit of shameless self-promotion through this blog post, as even better than Gilt Groupe (there, I said it), is the site that I will be full-time Product Writer at, Rue La La (Join as a member through me here!). What's great about Rue La La? For myself and my own benefit, they're based out of Boston, which always gives a company brownie points. But more importantly, their price point is set lower than other sites, allowing the shopper to feel that they truly are getting a deal. Recent sales include Juicy Couture, Kenneth Jay Lane, Moschino Cheap & Chic. Today's new slew of sales include John Hardy and Gottex (whose perfect-for-the-beach miniskirts are selling for $35 -- regularly $98). Later this week expect to log in just in time to nab a new Balanciaga bag or some Hanky Panky necessities.


The other notable online sample sale boutique worth mentioning, Hautelook (If you need to join, comment to this entry with your email address and I'll send a referral your way!). The great thing about Hautelook? Their dead-on perfect sales for twenty-something appropriate casual wear (past sales include C&C California and Habitual) and their focus away from just clothing. Their GoSmile Whitening system sale gave Sephora's price a killing (normally about $50, Hautelook offered the same products for $30 and under), and their upcoming Gaggia sale gives an opportunity for everyone to give their kitchens a facelift through a new espresso machine. On sale right now? Manolo Blahniks. Yes, you read that right.

Before the land of online sample sales - and still my bi-weekly indulgence - are cheap clothing shopping sprees at TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Filene's Basement (which recently filed for Chapter 11, despite my best efforts to personally boost their sales). If you're in the Boston area and looking for a deal, take a short drive down Rt. 495 to the Wrentham Outlets. It almost hurts how great these outlets are, and definitely worth the 45 minute drive from the city. How good you ask? Think Off 5th (Saks Fifth Avenue's own outlet) where I bought a pair of Tahari pants for $14 kind of good. A Barneys New York outlet where I nabbed a Barney's brand black satin evening clutch for under $30. A Theory outlet, where best friend A picked up a a colorblock dress that she had seen in a Greenwich, CT, full-priced Theory store only days prior for 60% less. In this economy, a little retail therapy is needed (and justified) - and these places are all like 90 calorie snack packs. They all allow for you to indulge minus the guilt.

-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox