The Three S's


(image courtesy of thefashionrow.com)


I tend to avoid fashion advice from men in my life (no offense, but do you see what my brother and boyfriend wear?). However, today, roommate K's boyfriend summed up what a woman needs in her style. Three words. Sexy, slimming and simple. I must agree.

Sexy: Feeling sexy feels great. I don't mean lucite heel sexy (that's another s word, for another conversation). I mean the confident, power-exuding, I-can-take-over-the-world-if-I-want-to sexy. Exemplified by a curve hugging V-neck cashmere sweater. Sexy can mean heels that scream classy, a blow out, mani/pedi and a Gucci bag splurge. Wear and do what it takes for confidence to ooze out of your OPI painted nails. Your sex appeal and confidence thank you.

Slimming: I've received loads of comments and questions on what's slimming. There is no universal answer, but there are worthwhile suggestions. Anything black that creates a flattering silhouette. Long cardigans, long sweaters and turtlenecks in a quality fabric. Absolutely nothing cropped. Wrap dresses work as slimming perfection for the work week. Accessorize strategically so attention goes to a beautifully awesome cocktail ring rather than any self-conscious areas.

Simple: Simplicity is key, but simple doesn't mean boring. Simple means investing in an array of the basics that will last for seasons and seasons. This foundation should be the core of an outfit. A luxe Vince white tee. A black DvF cashmere wrap sweater. The pair of to-die-for dark denim jeans by Citizens of Humanity or Seven for all Mankind. Accessorize without making accessories a mask. My rule? No more than two eye-popping accessories at once and no more than two rings on a hand.

As I start cleaning out my wardrobe, the three s's will stay in the back of my mind. Frayed denim minis? Not so sexy. Cropped tees from 2000? Not so slimming. That crazy printed coat colllecting dust in the back of my closet? Not so simple. Even I learn something everyday.

-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox