Legwear Dilemma

I faced an issue this morning with my closet. As fall brisks in, leggings are rapidly becoming my legwear of choice. Stretchy and comfortable, I stocked up on black ankle-length pairs from Forever 21. They pair best under trouser shorts or long tunics. At home, with a hoodie and moccasins.

Yesterday a girl on the T wore her grey leggings with a layered long sleeve tee. Bottom uncovered, but didn’t look ridiculous or pantsless like Lady GaGa. This morning, I woke up and attempted to emulate. Long black leggings. Dark grey tank top. Green and grey long sleeved tee by Vince. It looked messy with negative effort. I felt conscious of the shirt length and exposed, but, legging-covered bum.

Leggings doubled as pants at age five. Stirrup styles. Long styles. Short styles. Does a heightened level of self-consciousness come with age? One thing’s for sure, I’m longing the acceptance of leggings as pants that I had as a kindergarten student.

-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox