You Know You Love Me

In the midst of my young, post-college professional life, I have little time to indulge in guilty pleasures. One time that I allow myself is Monday's at 8pm. One of my bestests (ironically enough, we'll call her S), comes over to my New England apartment while we gorge on junk food and drink overpriced champagne (my current bottle of choice? Veuve Clicquot.) while watching B, S, D, C, Lily, Rufus, and whoever else happens to be on the Gossip Girl that evening. We forget how mortifying high school really was, and kind of miss it. I, a prep school graduate, tend to lean on the side of regret as I realize that I should have fully embraced private high school. Oh how everything is so clear in hindsight.
This weekly tradition, however, has been let down by the CW. First a month-long hiatus (completely skipping over the holidays!). And now what looks like a gap week inbetween episodes. What's a girl to do, left malnourished of trashy, gossipy drama?
My answer? Read the books. I caught onto this bandwagon a bit too late, as I was too busy ignoring my true vein interests and trying to look like an intellect circa 2004 and was buying books like 'A Million Little Pieces' (and okay, I won't lie, all of the 'Confessions of a Shopaholic' series). Plus, prep school was a little too close to the realm of my actual life to fully indulge and enjoy books about prep school. Regardless, now with my stuffy New England prep school years just about five years behind me, I can indulge. And I do. Don't even try to tell yourself that these books are geared towards twelve-year-olds (just hide your face in your Pashmina like I do as you need to head over to the young adult section as your local Borders or Barnes and Noble Booksellers), because the action that Serena, Blair and Nate get in the books is just about comparable to (or sadly, more than) any action that my group of twenty-something's get on a regular basis. Another plus to reading these books in your twenties? You can bust through one a day -- no lie. It's like reading an extended episode of the show, which is wonderful and a curse all at the same time. I'm now just starting the prequel (that just came out in paperback) with the rest of the series read and under my belt. What am I supposed to read next? Any suggestions? Do they write a 'Gossip Girl' for adults that I'm unaware of?
-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox