Playing House?

(photo courtesy of Associated Content)
Quick all of you blog readers. A little pop quiz:
You find out that one of your exes (fairly recent, nonetheless, with a lot of history behind it) is basically married. What do you do?


A.) Get mad, angry, break a few Tiffany's wine glasses and then sulk and eat a lot of Ben & Jerry's ice cream (I'd recommend the 'One Sweet Whirled' flavor)


B.) Get sad, feel nostalgic, and watch 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' and wish that you were Holly Golightly (and wondering where in hell is your Paul Varjack).


C.) Feel completely thrown off balance and hope that they all fall off of a cliff. Or the Tobin Bridge. And wonder why you aren't the one that gets to write 'Mr. and Mrs.' since you're the one that put up with all of his childish behavior anyway (P.S. It's totally true, you deserve to, not that skank).


OR


D.) Get even. Look hot. Know your current boyfriend is hotter, and tell the world to suck it.


My opinion? All of the above. Breakups are a bitch and exes should be sent to another planet - preferably Pluto -- that is the smallest planet? Yes? Because we all know that where there's a small planet, there's surely small... well you know what I mean.


Which brings me to the point of my relationship based blog post. As a twenty-something that recently graduated college, there is a boom in couples that I know (some well, some not so well, some that I would rather not know at all) that are suddenly 'shacking up together' (to use my conservative father's terminology). Some couples have been together for years - and I understand the need for your own place. Some couples have been together for about a year - and that's okay, I guess, as long as you know the reprecussions. And if you dont, FYI, breakups are a lot more difficult to do when your name is signed on the dotted line next to your forever and ever (or until a better one rolls around)'s. Some couples have been together for a matter or months. For all of you that fall into this catagory. I have no words.
P and I strongly believe in the one year curse of relationships during this time of our lives. It's proven true for us and all of our friends. One year hits, and so does the drama. The questioning of whether it's worth it. Or we meet someone cuter, funnier, smarter, more intellectual and we relapse into sixteen-year-old girl mode. Acting like this is normally temporary, and should be if the person is, you know, the one. If the person is not the one, well, you know how that story goes -- and it involves crying, saying 'it's not you, it's me,' wondering if you'll ever be alone, and a whole ton of listening to 'Screaming Infidelities' by Dashboard Confessional. It's okay, I've been there. It happens.
This all being said, consider this a warning - a public service announcement of sorts. If you've been with your other half for less than twelve months, rethink before signing on the lease. We've all seen the episode of Sex and the City where Miranda has Steve sleeping on her couch for a month because he has nowhere else to go. There's no satisfying rebound in this universe with your ex sleeping a wall's distance away. If it's too late and you've already gone ahead, moved in, bought Kate Spade flatware, make sushi on Wednesdays together, and pretend you're married, well good luck to you. No, actually, not good luck to you, because chances are I know you and maybe dated you and think you're stupid for doing so. I dont' care if we were together when we were 15, 18, 20 or now. Do. Not. Care. I'll be there when it crashes and burns -- not for support necessarily, but simply to say, 'I told you so.' I always did love saying that anyway.
-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox