Varitek, don't break my heart like this...

While reading this article on Boston.com this morning, my heart sank just a little bit. We are under a month away from spring training in Florida. And only 82 days (yes, I just counted in my trusty Coach day planner) away from Opening Day at Fenway Park. Jason Varitek is starting to make me bite my nails. Just a little bit. And we all know that bitten, black nail polished nails are not a good look for anyone. Laugh all you want, but seriously, Varitek is (I refuse to say was, yet) the Red Sox captain. The C. He didn't bat so hot last season, and he's getting older, but for Red Sox fans my age, he's like a Red Sox staple. He didn't bail on us like Damon did for pinstripes and a clean shave. He was with the team in 2004 - one of the few that remain. He's scruffy and the definition of a 'Boston Guy' if I've ever seen one. There doesn't seem to be a market for him anywhere else (otherwise his status as a free agent wouldn't be so prominent still in the Globe) and I can say that he's valued here. We can't enter this 2009 season with three catchers, none of which holds substantial MLB experience.
As if I didn't already dislike Scott Boras (Varitek's agent) after this Texiera debacle, now he could take away the love I have for wearing my green Varitek Red Sox tee. Don't make me hate you more. Please?

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox