Guilty Pleasure TV Alert!


(image courtesy of wikipedia.org)

I was on the young side when the original Melrose Place aired. Seven years old when it premiered, to be exact. To say that my parents didn’t let me watch it is an understatement. If parental controls had been around in the late 1990s, Melrose Place would have topped the banned list – along with my beloved Dawson’s Creek.

Luckily, it’s now 2009. I’m in my twenties. Mom and dad are nowhere to be found in my apartment. The CW birthed a new era of Melrose Place. And I love it.

I love the boring lovey-dovey newly-engaged yet fueled by jealousy couple Riley and Jonah. Best friend A may gag, but part of me connects with Riley’s forking through her fiance’s Lucky Charms to filter out his favorite ones (the green clovers). Makes me wish my boyfriend would filter my Lucky Charms out (I only eat the marshmallows, for the record).

I love that Lauren taking the highest bidding man to pay for medical school. Moreso, I love the fact that there’s an Asian girl scandalous plotline – breaking stereotypes is my kind of thing.

I love Detective Rodriguez. Right away it’s obvious that it’s the same actor (Nicholas Gonzalez) that played DJ the Mischa Barton loving gardener in the OC. Findng nighttime soap crossovers is like Where’s Waldo. While we play ‘Where did I know him/her from?’ – Riley (Jessica Lucas) was in Cloverfield (a guilty pleasure B-movie of mine). Lauren (Stephanie Jacobson) was in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Jonah (Michael Rady) was in Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants.

Lastly, I do love Ashlee Simpson Wentz. Bloggers (and friends) boo her acting, but I give the girl props. Confession. She was always my favorite Simpson sister, and her albums are still on heavy iPhone rotation.

Missed last night’s episode? Check out EW’s recap.

-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox