Shoegasm!

(image courtesy of neimanmarcus.com)

At the age of 23, I finally hand myself over to the shoe gods. I always misunderstood shoe obsessions. I blamed my small feet, impatience with finding the perfect shoe, and the pain of walking through jagged brick-lined roads in Boston in heels. In college, instead of sky-high Louboutins, I opted for wintertime Uggs and summertime Havaiana flip flops with every outfit. Yes, every outfit, including dresses, formals, and dates. Major fashion disaster.

Today? Reformed. That's what I am. I find myself planning entire outfits around new pairs of shoes. I wear heels and feel confident. There's just something about a new shoe that feels good. It ranks with new car smell and the first use of a new designer handbag. I alternate through leather booties, suede riding boots and studded flats. I have shoegasms at the sight of skyscraper heels (a la Lady GaGa in Alexander McQueen). I find myself lusting and longing for new heels. Blue suede with red soles and Swarovski-encrusted. Designer shoes are like art, and so perfectly formed. Bank account, my apologies, but I think my obsession is here for good.

-M

Free Blog Counter
Pop Culture Paradox